No one knows your story better than you.
But a fresh set of eyes and a different point-of-view can help unlock your novel and take it from good to great.
As a book coach and developmental editor, I can help you keep your novel moving forward, brainstorm when you’re stuck, and shape your finished draft into a powerful story.
Here are three ways I can help:
Writing is deep, emotional work. It can also be lonely work. Sometimes you need a partner to help you through the rough spots. As your book coach, I can help you complete that first draft or guide you through heavy revisions. I will:
- Begin with a kick-off meeting via video conferencing or phone to learn about your goals and vision for your book, discuss areas where you may need extra help, and decide on a production schedule that works for you.
- Keep you accountable to your writing schedule to keep your project moving forward.
- Provide feedback on your work to make sure your story stays on track.
- Offer support, encouragement, and ideas when your writing hits a rough patch.
- Celebrate your progress and, of course, completion.
In our first meeting, we will establish a production schedule that suits you and adjust the program and cost as needed. A typical schedule includes written feedback via email on ten pages per week. When needed, you may substitute your weekly submission for a one-hour video or phone call meeting.
Book Coaching from $199/month*
*Three month minimum commitment
“Get Unstuck” Creativity Boost
Maybe you’ve hit the saggy middle of your story or you can’t figure out your ending. Perhaps a secondary character has taken over and you’re no longer sure whose story you’re telling. Maybe you have a glut of brilliant ideas and can’t decide which one to work on first. A “Get Unstuck” Creative Boost will get you back on track. You’ll get:
- A 60-minute “Get Unstuck” video meeting or phone session to help you uncover your story problems and figure out what’s holding you back.
- A writing assignment to help you find the answers.
- A 60-minute follow-up session to fine-tune the details and get you back on track.
Get Unstuck package: $250
When you’ve taken your book as far as you can on your own, it’s time to bring in fresh eyes and a trusted story editor. Here’s where I come in. As your Developmental Editor, I offer:
- A kick-off meeting to learn about your goals and vision for your book. This way, I can give feedback on the book you want to write, not the book I think you should write.
- A full read and evaluation of your manuscript.
- A follow-up meeting to discuss the main areas of concentration for your next round of revisions.
- Chapter-by-chapter notes to guide your next draft.
- A second follow-up to answer any questions and brainstorm ideas if you’re stuck, or a second read of 10-20 pages of your revision.
Developmental Editing packages start at $700
Why Work with Me?
I am a working writer who is published in both fiction and nonfiction. I understand what it takes to get to the end of a first draft, never mind the seemingly endless hours of revision. I understand how doubt, overwhelm, and frustration can derail a project, and that life, family, and work can demand your creative energy. I also know that, if you want to see your book in the hands of readers, you have to commit. And sometimes you have to ask for help.
What I Don’t Offer:
If you’re looking for line edits, copy edits, or a proofread, I am not the editor for you. I can however refer you to many qualified professionals to help you with that work.